ELECTIONS are approaching, not only here in New Zealand, but also in Germany.
What kind of attitude should a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ have towards politics? That question is very relevant at the present time.
Children of God go to the BIBLE to find answers to their questions.
The BIBLE teaches in Jeremiah 29:7:
“ALSO SEEK THE PEACE AND PROSPERITY OF THE CITY TO WHICH I HAVE CARRIED YOU INTO EXILE. PRAY TO THE LORD FOR IT, BECAUSE IF IT PROSPERS, YOU WILL PROSPER.”
Those Israelites carried into exile from Jerusalem to BABYLON were commanded to do three things:
- THEY WERE TO SEEK THE PEACE OF BABYLON.
- THEY WERE TO SEEK THE PROSPERITY OF BABYLON.
- THEY WERE TO PRAY TO THE LORD FOR BABYLON.
If the Lord commanded ISRAEL to seek the best for the hostile town BABYLON how much more must we seek the best for the country in which we live.
- LET US SEEK THE PEACE OF OUR COUNTRY.
- LET US SEEK THE PROSPERITY OF OUR COUNTRY.
- LET US PRAY FOR OUR COUNTRY TO THE LORD. That is most important!
Jeremiah 29:7 can teach us the right attitude a true follower of the Lord Jesu Christ should have towards politics.