Seeing that dead tree today at Taipa Beach, not far from Kaitaia, reminded me of what the apostle Peter and Jude, the brother of Jesus, are writing about the false teachers. Peter writes about them in his second letter and Jude writes about them in his very short letter of 25 verses.
Here is what Jude says about them in the verses 12 and 13:
“When these people eat with you in your fellowship meals commemorating the Lord’s love,
1. they are like dangerous reefs that can shipwreck you.
2. They are like shameless shepherds who care only about themselves.
3. They are like clouds blowing over the land without giving any rain.
4. They are like trees in autumn that are doubly dead, for they bear no fruit and have been pulled up by the roots.
5. They are like wild waves of the sea, churning up the foam of their shameful deeds.
6. They are like wandering stars, doomed forever to blackest darkness.” (NEW LIVING TRANSLATION)